What we do
We provide 24/7 crisis intervention services to anyone who is experiencing, or has experienced, domestic and family violence. Our crisis services are provided 365 days a year and include:
- telephone support
- attendance with police at domestic and family violence incidents
- access to safe emergency accommodation
- safety planning
- referrals to support services.
When you call us you will speak to someone specially trained in crisis intervention and support who understands domestic and family violence—someone who will listen and believe you. We understand that everyone’s situation is different, and there is no ‘one size fits all’ approach. We understand that relationships are very complex. We do not pressure people to leave. We do not pressure them to call police or involve the courts.
Concerned family, friends, colleagues, neighbours and medical and allied health professionals are also very welcome to call our 24/7 telephone crisis line for information and guidance on how to support someone
How we help
Our conversations with people are non-judgmental, practical and focused on you and your needs. We talk to people about their history, current fears and safety concerns, children and families, accommodation, health, finances, legal issues, hopes and intentions for the future.
- provide accurate information about your rights
- talk about ways to improve safety
- explain the different support services that are available
- help you access safe emergency accommodation
- link you to other support services that can help you (eg. counselling, visa issues, legal advice, financial advice etc)
- won’t make you do anything you don’t want to—the choice is always yours.
We also work closely with ACT Policing and are available to attend domestic and family violence incidents to provide support to victims and their families who ask for our services.
What does it cost
These services are provided free of charge.
To access our crisis intervention services call our 24/7 crisis telephone line 02 6280 0900. If it isn’t urgent another contact option is to email email@example.com; this email is only monitored during business hours. You are welcome to call us reverse charges. If you live outside the ACT please call 1800RESPECT.
We do not make any sound recordings of our conversations. You do not need to give us your name, but if you do we make notes that we spoke to you. If you are unsure, please let us know at the start of the call and we can tell you about our confidentiality policy.