Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

24/7 Crisis Line   ACT (02) 6280 0900

Other States & Territories 1800 RESPECT

Protection orders:

Quick Escape

Protection orders

In addition to other safety measures taken some people choose to apply for a protection order known in the ACT as a Family Violence Order (FVO). Under the ACT Family Violence Act 2016 people experiencing domestic and family violence can apply for a FVO. These orders contain conditions that are legally enforceable and a chargeable offence to breach. These conditions can vary and are applied for by the person experiencing domestic and family violence to suit their unique situation. They can include prohibiting the respondent from attending their home, being within 100 metres of them, and from contacting them.

The process involved in applying for a protection order can require the person experiencing violence to attend Court on several occasions. After initially applying for an interim order, which makes conditions enforceable as soon as the paperwork is served by police on the user of violence, a Return Conference is listed so that the applicant can pursue a permanent FVO of up to 24 months. The respondent is invited to attend the conference. If there is no agreement between the applicant and the user of violence than the matter will go before a Magistrate to decide, at what is called a FVO Hearing.

DVCS ‘s Court Advocacy Program  is a free service which supports people though the FVO process.

Before applying for a FVO it is important to consider whether or not taking this action will place you at further risk and whether or not you are prepared to call police if there is a breach. On occasion FVOs can aggravate a situation further and some people have difficulty reporting incidents to police for various reasons.

Contact us

To access our legal support and advocacy services call our 24/7 crisis telephone line 02 6280 0900.  If it isn’t urgent another contact option is to email; this email is only monitored during business hours. You are welcome to call us reverse charges.  If you live outside the ACT please call 1800RESPECT.

We do not make any sound recordings of our conversations.  You do not need to give us your name, but if you do we make notes that we spoke to you.   If you are unsure, please let us know at the start of the call and we can tell you about our confidentiality policy.