I am not an Australian Citizen

Some people who have come to Australia on a temporary visa are worried that if they leave their violent partner, they will be forced to return to their home country.  There are considerations in the Migration Act that if the relationship breaks down due to domestic or family violence that can allow the victim to apply for permanent residency.

Muslim womanFor more information on the Family Violence Provisions please go to:

Fact Sheet 38 Family Violence Provisions

1410 Form – Statutory declaration for family violence claim (for family violence claims first made on or after 24 November 2012) Department of Immigration and Border Protection

“Family violence is a crime and is unacceptable in Australia. If you are in Australia and you have applied as a partner for certain permanent residence visas, you (and any dependent family member included in your application) do not have to remain in an abusive relationship just to get permanent residence.” Sourced from the 1410 form


For advice and assistance regarding immigration advice where there is domestic and family violence, please contact the following services:

Companion House – Telephone 02 6251 4550

Migrant and Refugee Settlement Services of the ACT inc (MARSS) – Telephone 02 6248 8577

Legal Aid ACT – Migration Legal Advice – Telephone 02 6243 3431

Please contact us here should you wish to discuss your options further. You can contact us anonymously. We do not make any sound recordings of our conversations, but we do record that we spoke to you. This record can be made anonymously. If you are unsure, please speak to our crisis workers at the commencement of the call.