Some ideas to promote safety are:
- Change the locks on doors and windows as soon as possible.
- Install security systems including additional locks, window bars, window locks, an electronic alarm system and a security chain on the front door.
- Install smoke detectors and purchase fire extinguishers for your home.
- Install a motion sensitive lighting system outside that lights up when a person is coming close to your home.
- Get an answering machine to screen your calls and report abusive calls to the telephone company and the police.
- Buy a mobile phone.
- Call Police if you see the person who has abused you near your home or if they threaten you or communicate with you in any other way.
- Ask a neighbour to call Police if they see the person who has abused you or their vehicle near your home.
- Teach your children how to use the telephone to call Police or a trusted person if in danger, or to call you if they are abducted.
- Inform all the people who provide care for the children, who has permission to pick them up and who does not.
Affordable security options:
- Putting wood dowel in windows so they can’t slide open
- Buying sensor lights that plug into existing light fittings
- Putting a chain and padlock around gates
- Placing slide bolts on man holes so it can’t be accessed via the roof
Please contact us here should you wish to discuss your options further. You can contact us anonymously. We do not make any sound recordings of our conversations, but we do record that we spoke to you. This record can be made anonymously. If you are unsure, please speak to our crisis workers at the commencement of the call.